Littleton Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 13 July 2021)




During the history of the town of Littleton, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. College Grant post office opened on 7 July 1843 and closed on 28 May 1846.
2. Littleton post office opened on 9 September 1857, closed on 15 july 1891, re-opened on 27 July 1892, and closed on 14 December 1905.


In 1914, there were no post offices in Littleton. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from Littleton include:
College Grant
Littleton



College Grant


1843 July 7:
   College Grant post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1846 May 28:
   College Grant post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Littleton


1857 September 9:
   Littleton post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1891 July 15:
   Littleton post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1892 July 27:
   Littleton post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1905 December 14:
   Littleton post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)