Linneus Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 5 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Linneus, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Linneus post office operated from 11 February 1831 to 18 January 1974.
2. North Linneus post office operated from 27 November 1855 to 16 November 1881.
3. South Linneus post office operated from 24 March 1838 to 8 December 1838.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Linneus: Linneus. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from Linneus include:
Linneus North Linneus
South Linneus



Linneus


1831 February 11:
   Linneus post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1953 December 15:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1974 January 18:
   Linneus post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)