Hodgdon Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Hodgdon, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Clyde post office opened on 9 June 1884 and closed on 19 November 1885.
2. Hodgdon post office was established on 3 July 1834 as a private post office. It was renamed on 20 December 1964 as Hodgdon Rur. Sta. Houlton and closed on 31 August 1991.
3. South Hodgdon post office opened on 26 November 1877 and closed on 12 October 1883.


In 1914, there was one post office in Hodgdon: Hodgdon. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Hodgdon include:
Clyde
Hodgdon Hodgdon Rur. Sta. Houlton
South Hodgdon



Hodgdon


1834 July 3:
   Hodgdon post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 October 6:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      

1964 December 20:
   Hodgdon post office became Hodgdon Rur. Sta. Houlton. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)