Haynesville Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 26 February 2021)




During the history of the town of Haynesville, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. East Haynesville post office was established on 30 July 1866. It was renamed on 22 April 1868 as Haynesville (2) post office, from which service was suspended on 9 September 1994 and which was discontinued on 13 October 1995.
2. Haynesville (1) post office opened on 3 August 1830 and was renamed on 22 January 1868 as Glenwood post office.


In 1914, there was one post offices in Haynesville: Haynesville (1). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Haynesville include:
East Haynesville
Haynesville (1)
Haynesville (2)



Haynesville (2)


1868 April 22:
   Haynesville (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 February 7:
   The circular postmark is approximately 34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars at the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1970 December 31:
   Judson L. McBrine appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1971 July 31:
   Winnifred M. Carr appointed Postmaster.

1994 August 19:
   [name?] appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1994 September 9:
   Service suspended. (source: Postmaster Finder.)

1995 October 13:
   Haynesville (2) post office discontinued. (source: Postmaster Finder.)