Grand Isle Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine
a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine 04975
(updated 26 February 2021)
Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Grand Isle, there have been two post offices.
Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. The former West Van Buren post office was renamed on 13 June 1859 as Grant Isle post office, which closed on 17 June 1867. Grant Isle post office re-opened on 22 Junr 1869 and on 22 July 1907 was renamed as Grand Isle post office, which is still operating.
2. Lower Grant Isle post office opened on 29 December 1890 and was renamed on 22 January 1907 as Lower Grand Isle post office. Lower Grand Isle post office was renamed on 27 December 1910 as Lille post office which was suspended on 21 April 1989.
In 1914, there were two post offices in Grand Isle: Grand Isle and Lille. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
(click on image to enlarge)
Postmarks from Grand Isle include:
1907 June 22:
The former Grant Isle post office was renamed as Grand Isle post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)
1935 August 21:
The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars at the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
1939 December 8:
Peter C. Sanfacon appointed Acting Postmaster.
1940 August 13:
Peter C. Sanfacon appointed Postmaster.
1972 June 30:
Carmen L. Sanfacon appointed Officer-in-Charge.
1973 February 17:
Lorette C. Sanfacon appointed Postmaster.
1975 December 31:
Louis P. Dionne Jr. appointed Officer-in-Charge.
1976 June 25:
Roger R. Bossie appointed Officer-in-Charge.
1976 October 28:
Patricia C. Roy appointed Officer-in-Charge.
1977 February 26:
Louis P. Dionne Jr. appointed Postmaster.
1994 July 26:
Herman Fortin appointed Officer-in-Charge.
1994 October 29:
Patrice A. Jalbert appointed Postmaster.
2005 June 21:
Carol Parker appointed Officer-in-Charge.
2006 February 18:
Jean M. Cayer appointed Postmaster.
2012 July 20:
Elizabeth J. Chasse appointed Officer-in-Charge.
2013 June 29:
Grand Isle post office was converted to a Remotely Managed Post Office under the direction of the Postmaster of the Madawaska post office.
Grand Isle post office is still in operation.
1910 December 27:
The former Lower Grand Isle was renamed as Lille post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)
1940 June 15:
The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
1950 February 25:
The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars at the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
1989 April 21:
Lille post office suspended. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)