Glenwood Plantation Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 13 September 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of Glenwood Plantation, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of this one is as follows:
1. The former Haynesville (1) post office was renamed on 22 January 1868 as Glenwood post office, which closed on 15 February 1914, re-opened on 20 April 1917, and closed on 15 August 1925.


During most of 1914 there was no post office in Glenwood Plantation. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)





The only postmark from the town of Glenwood Plantation is:
Glenwood



Glenwood


1868 January 22:
   The former Haynesville (1) post office was renamed as Glenwood post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1885 November 9:
   The outer circle of the postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter; the innermost, approximately 17 mm.
      

1914 February 15:
   Glenwood post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1917 April 20:
   Glenwood post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1925 August 15:
   Glenwood post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)