Eagle Lake Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 25 February 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Eagle Lake, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Eagle Lake post office was established on 17 July 1883 and is still in operation.
2. Eagle Lake Mills post office operated from 17 July 1903 to 15 June 1910.
3. Plaisted post office, a summer office, operated from 7 December 1910 to 17 October 1992.


In 1914 there were two post offices in Eagle Lake: Eagle Lake and Plaisted. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Eagle Lake include:
Eagle Lake Eagle Lake Mills Plaisted



Eagle Lake


1883 July 17:
   Eagle Lake post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
   Elsie S. Dow appointed Postmaster.

1947 November 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1947 December 18:
   William J. Furlong appointed Acting Postmaster.

1949 June 2:
   William J. Furlong appointed Postmaster.

1952 September 9:
   Gilbert E. Michaud appointed Acting Postmaster.

1954 March 18:
   Gilbert E. Michaud appointed Postmaster.

1970 June 12:
   Florida R. Vaillancourt appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1971 March 20:
   Florida R. Vaillancourt appointed Postmaster.

1973 June 30:
   Norma A. Laferriere appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1974 January 26:
   Norma A. Laferriere appointed Postmaster.

1991 February 2:
   Scott M. Wyman appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1991 April 20:
   Rita M. Martin appointed Postmaster.

1997 January 31:
   Theresa Fournier appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1997 June 7:
   Philip Alan Voisine appointed Postmaster.

2014 January 11:
   Eagle Lake Post Office was converted to a Level 6 (6-hour) Remotely Managed Post Office under the direction of the Postmaster of the Fort Kent post office.

today:
   Eagle Lake post office is still in operation.


Eagle Lake Mills


1903 July 17:
   Eagle Lake Mills post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1906?:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1992 October 17:
   Eagle Lake Mills post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Plaisted


1910 December 7:
   Plaisted post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1950 March 15:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars at the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1992 October 17:
   Plaisted post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)