Clayton Lake Township Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine
a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine 04975
(updated 12 July 2021)
During the history of Clayton Lake Township, there has been only one post office.
Briefly, the history of this one is as follows:
1. The former Seven Islands post office (in T13 R15 WELS) was changed on 16 May 1930 to Clayton Lake Township post office, which became on 30 June 1983 Clayton Lake CPO Ashland, which became on 1 July 2003 Clayton Lake CPO Fort Kent, which closed on 22 July 2004.
In 1914, there was no post office in Clayton Lake Township. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
(click on image to enlarge)
Postmark from Clayton Lake:
1930 May 16:
The former Seven Islands post office was changed to Clayton Lake post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1932 July 5:
2004 July 22:
Clayton Lake post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)