Cary Plantation Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 10 July 2021)




During the history of Cary Plantation, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Bathurst post office opened on 13 July 1838 and closed on 6 September 1842.
2. Cary (1) post office was established on 23 March 1880 and was renamed on 11 September 1889 as North Amity (2) post office (in Amity).
3. Mansurs Mills post office was established on 27 August 1886 and was renamed on 29 June 1896 as Cary (2) post office, which closed on 31 March 1815.
4. Number Eleven post office opened on 9 June 1862 and closed on 15 July 1867.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Cary Plantation: Cary (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Cary Plantation include:
Bathurst
Cary (1)
Cary (2)
Mansurs Mills
Number Eleven



Bathurst


1838 July 13:
   Bathurst post office opeed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1842 September 6:
   Bathurst post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Cary (1)


1880 March 23:
   Allegash post office was established. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1889 September 11:
   Cary (1) post office was renamed as North Amity (2) post office (in Amity). (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Cary (2)


1896 June 29:
   The former Mansurs Mills post office was renamed as Cary (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1915 March 31:
   Cary (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Mansurs Mills


1886 August 27:
   Mansurs Mills post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1896 June 29:
   Mansurs Mills post office was renamed as Cary (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Number Eleven


1862 June 9:
   Number Eleven post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1867 July 15:
   Number Eleven post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)