Bridgewater
Aroostook County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 10 January 2019)


Thank you for contributions to this page from Roland Simard and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Bridgewater, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Boundary post office opened on 12 May 1898 and closed on 30 November 1905.
2. Bridgewater (1) post office opened on 8 February 1849, closed on 21 April 1860, re-opened on 13 September 1860, and closed on 19 October 1894.
3. Bridgewater Center post office was established on 27 November 1885. It was renamed on 1 March 1927 as Bridgewater (2) post office and is still operating.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Bridgewater: Bridgewater Center. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Cllick on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Bridgewater include:
Boundary
Bridgewater (1)
Bridgewater (2) Bridgewater Center



Bridgewater (2)


1927 March 1:
   The former Bridgewater Center post office was renamed as Bridgewater (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1938 July 14 through 1949 July 5:
   The circular postmark is 29–31 mm in diameter.
         

today:
   Bridgewater (2) post office is still in operation.


Bridgewater Center


1885 November 27:
   Bridgewater Center post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1911 February 10 through 1912 October 9:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. The cancellation to the right of the postmark is approximately 13 mm wide by 27 mm tall.
         

1927 March 1:
   Bridgewater Center post office was renamed as Bridgewater (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)