Blaine Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 20 April 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Blaine, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. The former Mars Hill (1) post office was renamed on 21 September 1861 as Alva post office, which was renamed on 6 April 1874 as Blaine post office, which is still operating.
2. Robinsons post office operated from 21 February 1895 until 29 January 1965.


In 1914, there were two post offices in what is now Blaine: Blaine and Robinsons. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from Blaine include:
Alva
Blaine Robinsons South Blaine



Blaine


1874 April 6:
   Former Alva post office renamed as Blaine post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1956 November 23:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Blaine post office is still in operation.


Robinsons


1895 February 21:
   Robinsons post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1932 June 4:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars at the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1965 January 29:
   Robinsons post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)