Bancroft Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 20 April 2019)




During the history of the town of Bancroft, there have been five post offices.

Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. Bancroft (1) post office opened on 22 May 1855 and was renamed on 26 April 1875 as North Bancroft post office. which closed on 30 April 1957.
2. Bancroft Mills post office operated from 8 February 1859 to 27 October 1863)
3. Logan post office operated from 6 October 1884 until 30 June 1911.
4. Maloy post office was renamed on 22 July 1895 as Bancroft (2) post office, which closed on 20 September 1913, re-opened on 14 January 1916, and closed on 28 February 1975.
5. South Bancroft post office operated from 11 September 1872 until 30 November 1949.


In 1914, there were two post offices in what is now Bancroft: North Bancroft and South Bancroft. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from Bancroft include:
Bancroft (1)
Bancroft (2)
Bancroft Mills
Logan
North Bancroft South Bancroft



North Bancroft


1895 April 26:
   North Bancroft post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1933 May 1:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars at the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1957 April 30:
   North Bancroft post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)