Aroostook County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 17 February 2019)
Thank you for the contriutions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Ashland, there have been two post offices.
Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Aroostook post office was established on 1 July 1843 and was renamed on 15 June 1868 as Ashland post office, which is still operating.
2. Sheridan post office was established on 9 November 1901 and is still operating.
In 1914, there were two post offices in the town of Ashland: Ashland and Sheridan. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Ashland include:
1868 June 15:
The former Aroostook post office was renamed as Ashland post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1936 January 19:
The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
Ashland post office is still in operation.