Allagash Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 26 April 2021)


Thank you for the contriutions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of Allagash, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Allegash post office was established on 8 February 1894 and was renamed on 1 November 1924 as Allagash post office, which closed on 31 August 1926.
2. Dickey post office was established on 11 November 1905 and closed on 30 September 1921.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Allagash: Allegash and Dickey. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Allagash include:
Allagash
Allegash
Dickey



Allagash


1924 November 1:
   The former Allegash post office was renamed as Allagash post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1925 May 5:
   The circular postmark is 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1926 August 31:
   Allagash post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Allegash


1894 February 8:
   Allegash post office was established. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1924 November 1:
   Allegash post office was renamed as Allagash post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Dickey


1905 November 11:
   Dickey post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1921 September 30:
   Dickey post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)