Wales
Androscoggin County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 February 2019)




Durig the history of the town of Wales there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. East Wales post office opened on 23 December 1856 and closed on 9 February 1901.
2. Leeds Station post office was established on 15 Apil 1820 and was renamed on 15 March 1859 as Leeds Junction post office. This was renamed on 8 December 1961 as Leeds Junction Rur. Sta. North Leeds, which closed on 15 March 1965.
3. Wales post office operated from 3 November 1824 until 9 February 1901.


In 1914, there was one post offices in Wales: Leeds Junction. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Wales include:
East Wales
Leeds Junction
Leeds Junction Rur. Sta. North Leeds
Leeds Station
Wales



Leeds Junction

1859 March 15:
   The former Leeds Station post office was renamed as Leeds Junction post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1915 February 25:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The lines to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      

1961 December 8
   Leeds Junction post office was renamed as Leeds Junction Rur. Sta. North Leeds. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



Wales

1824 November 3:
   Wales post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year? March 25:
   The circular postmark is approximately 24 mm in diameter.
      

1901 February 9
   Wales post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)