Turner Postal History
Androscoggin County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 1 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Turner, there have been 11 post offices.

Briefly, the history of these 11 is as follows:
1. Chase’s Mills post office operated from 18 September 1874 until 14 December 1907.
2. Howes Coner post office opened on 27 March 1891, closed on 15 August 1913, opened on 5 April 1915, and closed on 31 January 1935.
3. Keen’s Mills post office was established on 7 February 1873 and was renamed on 30 January 1880 as Aqua Mills post office. Aqua Mills post office never operated and was renamed on 24 February 1880 as Keen’s Mills, which closed on 31 December 1920, re-opened on 6 May 1922, and closed 15 December 1927.
4. North Turner post office opened on 12 December 1825, closed on 21 July 1845, re-opened 14 April 1846, and is still operating.
5. North Tutner Bridge post office opened on 30 December 1830, closed 10 July 1857, re-opened 10 May 185, and closed 31 July 1908.
6. Skillings post office operated from 20 June 1899 until 31 January 1908.
7. South Turner post office opened on 25 January 1875 and closed on 15 March 1909.
8. Turner Androscoggin post office was established on 23 January 1832 and on 10 (June or July?) 1839 was renamed East Turner (2) post office, which closed 31 July 1908.
9. Turner Center post office was established on 14 February 1873 and was renamed on 24 March 1967 as Turner Center Rur. Sta. Turner. The latter was renamed on a date to be researched as Turner Center CPO Turner post office, which is still operating.
10. Turner Village post office was established on 19 July 1824 and was renamed on 4 February 1826 as Turner (2) post office, which is still operating.
11. Turner (1) post office was established on 1 January 1800 and was renamed on (4 or 28?) February 1826 as East Turner (1) post office, which closed on 22 March 1839.


In 1914, there were four post offices in Turner: Keen’s Mills, North Turner, Turner Center, and Turner (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Turner include:
Aqua Mills
Chase's Mills
East Turner (1)
East Turner (2)
Howes Corner
Keen's Mills
North Turner
North Turner Bridge
Skillings
South Turner
Turner (1)
Turner (2)
Turner Androscoggin
Turner Center
Turner Center Rur. Sta. Turner
Turner Center CPO Turner
Turner Village



Howes Corner

1891 March 27:
   Howes Corner post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1913 August 15:
   Howes Corner post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1915 April 5:
   Howes Corner post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1927 November 18:
   The circular postmark is 30–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1930 December 2:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The lines to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1935 January 31
   Howes Corner post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



North Turner

1825 December 12:
   North Turner post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1845 July 21:
   North Turner post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1846 April 14:
   North Turner post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1934 May 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The lines to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

2015 November 6:
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today
   North Turner post office is currently in operation.



Turner (2)

1826 February 4:
   Turner (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1939 December 9:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

2015 November 6:
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today
   Turner (2) post office is currently in operation.



Turner Center

1873 February 14:
   Turner Center post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year February 24:
   The circular postmark is 24–25 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1967 March 24:
   Renamed as Turner Center Rur. Sta. Turner. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)