Sabattus Postal History
Androscoggin County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 18 April 2019)




During the history of the town of Sabattus, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Lisbon (1) (in Lisbon) was renamed on 6 December 1834 as Lisbon Centre (1) post office. This was renamed on 20 June 1841 as Webster post office, which closed 15 February 1905.
2. Sabattus post office was established on 21 December 1831 and is still operating.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Sabattus: Sabattus. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Sabattus include:
Lisbon Centre
Sabattus
Webster



Sabattus

1831 December 21:
   Sabattus post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: Daniel Cary. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1902 June 4:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      

1932 December 21:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      

1949 October 10:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center. Note the spelling of "Sabattis".
      

1950 June 30 through 1956 October 29:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the circle is approximately 33 mm tall, with 4 bars both above and below the numeral.
         

today:
   Sabattus post office is still in operation.