Poland Postal History
Androscoggin County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Poland, there have been seven post offices.

Briefly, the history of these seven is as follows:
1. East Poland post office opened on 4 September 1826, closed 30 September 1828, re-opened 28 January 1834, closed 29 June 1836, re-opened 23 June 1837, closed 22 April 1842, re-opened 4 Septeber 1849, and is still operating.
2. Empire post office opened on 23 April 1894 and closed 15 November 1907.
3. Poland (1) post office was established on 5 Septmeber 1800 and was renamed on 1 January 1801 as Minot post office (in Minot).
4. Poland (2) post office ooperated from 3 May 1813 until June 1994.
5. South Poland post office was established on 4 June 1862 and was renamed on 1 June 1939 as Poland Spring post office. Poland Spring post office was renamed on 1 August 1995 as Poland (3) post office and is still operating.
6. West Poland post office was established on 19 May 1837 and is still operating.
7. Worthley post office operated from 8 August 1882 until 12 November 1884.


In 1914, there were four post offices in Poland: East Poland, Poland (2), South Poland, and West Poland. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Poland include:
East Poland
Empire
Poland (1)
Poland (2)
Poland (3)
Poland Spring
South Poland
West Poland
Worthley



East Poland

1826 September 4:
   East Poland post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1828 September 30:
   East Poland post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1834 January 28:
   East Poland post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1836 June 29:
   East Poland post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1837 June 23:
   East Poland post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1842 April 22:
   East Poland post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1849 September 4:
   East Poland post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1893 October 16: [year determined from reverse]
   The outer circle (including the “teeth”) of the postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1908 October 12:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1916 April 4 through 1916 June 9:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1936 September 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1956 October 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   East Poland post office is still in operation.



Poland (2)

1813 May 3:
   Poland (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: William Cousins (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1904 September 27 through 1905 August 10:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1930 June 30:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The lines to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center. The time of day of the postmark is to the nearest half hour.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1939 December 11:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1949 July 21:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The lines to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center. The time of day of the postmark is either A.M. or P.M.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1950 March 29 through 1950 November 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the circle is approximately 33 mm tall, with 4 bars both above and below the numeral.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1994 June:
   Poland (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



South Poland

1862 June 4:
   South Poland post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1909 April 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1934 April 5:
   The circular postmark is 22–23 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1939 June 1:
   South Poland post office renamed as Poland Spring post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)