Minot Postal History
Androscoggin County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 1 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Minot, there have been four post offices.


Briefly, the history o the four is as follows:
1. East Minot (1) was established on 23 December 1817 and was renamed Centre Minot post office (in Auburn) on 3 December 1825.
2. East Minot (2) post office opened on 14 March 1825, closed on 9 April 1835; re-opened on 7 September 1839, and closed on 13 Apil 1842.
3. Poland (1) post office (in Poland) was renamed Minot post office on 1 January 1801 and is still operating.
4. West Minot post office was established on 9 February 1825 and is still operating.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Minot: Minot and West Minot. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Minto include:
East Minot (1)
East Minot (2)
Minot
West Minot



Minot

1801 January 1:
   Minot post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1825 May 5:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter)
      

1852:
   Postmaster: William Dale (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1935 July 11 through 1935 November 19:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
         

1940 March 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      

1987 September 11:
   The postmark with a single circle is 30–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm. The outer circle of the double-circle postmark is 30–31 mm; the inner, 19–20 mm. The rectangular postmark is 48–49 mm wide by 15󈝼 mm tall.
      

today:
   The Minot post office is currently in operation.



West Minot

1825 February 9:
   West Minot post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: William Lowell (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1933? January 16:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The lines to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      

1940 March 4:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle 19–20 mm.
      

today:
   West Minot post office is currently in operation.