Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Livermore, there have been six post offices.
Briefly, the history of these six is as follows:
1. East Livermore post office was established on 8 October 1822 and is still operating.
2. The former Brown’s Mills post office [town = ?] was renamed on 19 January 1872 as East Livermore Mills post office, which operated as such until closing on 15 February 1912.
3. Livermore post office was established on 1 April 1807 and is still operating.
4. Livermore Center post office opened on 21 June 1839 and closed on 15 February 1911.
5. North Livermore post office was established on 5 May 1824 and was renamed on 3 January 1960 as North Livermore Rur. Sta. Livermore Falls, which closed on 31 December 1964.
6. South Livermore post office opened on 19 August 1856, closed on 7 May 1858, re-opened on 24 May 1858, and closed on 30 June 1911.
In 1914, there were three post offices in Livermore: East Livermore, Livermore, and North Livermore. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.