Androscoggin County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 2 October 2015)
During the history of the town of Livermore Falls, there have been three post offices.
Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Brown’s Mills post office was established on 5 January 1872, but it never operated. On 19 January 1872, it was renamed as East Livermore Mills post office (in the town of Livermore).
2. Livermore Falls post office was established on 21 December 1830 and is still operating.
3. Strickland’s Ferry post office was established on 10 December 1853 and was renamed as Strickland post office on 12 July 1894. Strickland post office closed on 31 December 1944.
In 1914, there were two post offices in Livermore Falls: Livermore Falls and Strickland. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Livermore Falls include:
1830 December 21:
Livermore Falls post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1913 June 2:
The circular postmark is 24 mm in diameter. The lines to the right of the circle are 0.125 inches apart, and the longer horizontal lines are 52 mm long.
The Livermore Falls post office is currently in operation.