Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the tow of Lisbon, there have been five post offices.
Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. Factory Village post office, a private office, opened on 3 October 1823 and closed on 13 October 1827.
2. Factoryville post office was established on 13 December 1827 and on 6 December 1884 was renamed as Lisbon (2) post office, which is still operating.
3. Lisbon Four Corners post office was established on 6 February 1819 and on 8 August 1832 was renamed as Lisbon (1) post office. On 6 December 1834 Lisbon (1) was renamed as Lisbon Center (1) post office [in Sabattus].
4. Lisbon Center (2) post office opened on 10 July 1884 and closed in 1992.
5. Little River Village post office was established on 14 December 1818 and on 20 February 1865 was renamed as Lisbon Falls post office. The latter was remamed on 6 January 1996 as Lisbon Falls Sta. Lisbon, which is still operating.
In 1914, there were three post offices in Lisbon: Lisbon (2), Lisbon Center (2), and Lisbon Falls. (source: Post Route map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.