Lewiston Postal History
Androscoggin County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of what is now the city of Lewiston, there have been 10 post offices.

Briefly, the history of these 10 is as follows:
1. Garcelon’s Ferry never opened.
2. Lewiston private post office opened in 1795, and its closing date needs research.
3. Lewiston post office, established as Lewistown on 16 September 1797, closed on a date that needs to be researched.
4. Lewiston post office was established on 12 June 1799 and is still operating.
5. Lewiston Sta. No. 1 has an earliest known postmark of 6 November 1924. Its closing date requires research.
6. Lewiston Sta. No. 3 has an earliest known postmark of 25 November 1933. Its closing date requires research.
7. Lewiston Sta. No. 4 opened on a date that needs research and is still operating.
8. Lewiston Sta. No. 5 has an earliest known postmark of 14 January 1939. Its closing date requires research.
9. South Lewiston post office opened on 16 September 1867 and closed on 30 April 1909.
10. South Lewiston Br. Lewiston was renamed in 1968 as South Lewiston Sta. Lewiston and is still operating.


In 1914, there was only the Lewiston post office in operation. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the city of Lewiston include:
Garcelon's Ferry
Lewiston
Lewiston Sta. No. 1
Lewiston Sta. No. 3
Lewiston Sta. No. 4
Lewiston Sta. No. 5
South Lewiston
South Lewiston Br. Lewiston
South Lewiston Sta. Lewiston



Lewiston

1795:
   Lewiston post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1848 March 3:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter; the inner, 22–23 mm. (notation; letter)
      

1867 September 30: [year determined from contents]
   The circular postmark is approximately 24 mm in diameter.
      

year? July 17:
   The circular postmark is approximately 26 mm in diameter.
      

1873 May 6: [year determined from contents]
   The circular postmark is approximately 25–26 mm in diameter.
      

1886 December 3 through 1891 July 31:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
         

1892 January 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter.
      

1893 November 18:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      

1898 June 9 through 1899 November:
   The circular postmark is 24–25 mm in diameter. The number in the cancellation is 1.
         

1898 April 9:
   The circular postmark is 24–25 mm in diameter. The number in the cancellation is 2.
      

1903 December 31 through 1904 May 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 22 mm in diameter. The number in the cancellation is 1.
         

1907 September 1:
   The circular postmark is 22–23 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      

1914 December 23:
   The 8 lines of the cancellation are approximately 43 mm long, and the distance between the top line and the bottom line is approximately 20 mm.
      

1921 April 28:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      

1923 August 3:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      

1930 December 24:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      

1931 December 22:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      

1932 September 12 through 1932 December 23:
   The circular postmark is approximately 21 mm in diameter.
         

1934 April 23 through 1935 December 21:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
         

1935 February 4:
   First day at new post office. The circular postmark is 30–32 mm in diameter.
      

1939 December 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      

1940 October 31:
   The circular postmark is approximately 21 mm in diameter.
      

1941 September 4:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      

1943 December 15:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      

1964 March 31:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      

1967 June 1 through 1969 March 17:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
         

today:
   The Lewiston post office is currently in operation.



South Lewiston

1867 September 16:
   South Lewiston post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

2017 July 16:
      

today:
   South Lewiston post office is still in operation.