Leeds Postal History
Androscoggin County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 February 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Leeds, there have been eight post offices.

Briefly, the history of these eight is as follows:
1. Curtis Corner post office opened on 22 January 1853 and closed on 18 October 1957.
2. East Leeds post office opened on 5 August 1840 and closed on 8 October 1842
3. Leeds (1) post office opened on 27 August 1822 and closed on 29 April 1933.
4. Leeds (2) post office was established on 23 April 1980 and is still operating.
5. North Leeds post office opened on 28 January 1826 and closed on 23 April 1980.
6. South Leeds post office opened on 6 June 1826 and closed on 1 November 1929.
7. West Leeds (1) post office opened on 10 April 1828 and closed on 18 April 1840.
8. West Leeds (2) post office opened on 24 February 1866 and closed on 30 April 1909.


In 1914, there were four post offices in Leeds: Curtis Corner, Leeds (1), North Leeds, and South Leeds. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Leeds include:
Curtis Corner
East Leeds
Leeds (1)
Leeds (2)
North Leeds
South Leeds
West Leeds (1)
West Leeds (2)



Curtis Corner

1853 January 22:
   Curtis Corner post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1949 September 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1957 October 18:
   Curtis Corner post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Leeds (1)

1822 August 27:
   Leeds (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?:
   Leeds (1) post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1929 October 11:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1933 April 29:
   Leeds (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Leeds (2)

1980 April 23:
   Leeds (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1985 September 14:
   Glenice F. Pulsifer appointed Postmaster.

1996 June 28:
   Ivan Charles Allen Jr. appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1996 Novembr 23:
   Constance V. Shaw appointed Postmaster.

2004 July 21:
   Angeline M. Palestini appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2004 October 2:
   Lorette M. Theriault appointed Postmaster.

2008 June 18:
   Thomas E. Hall appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2009 May 13:
   Carolyn S. Pike appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2011 November 19:
   Carol A. Guimont appointed Postmaster.

2012 June 26:
   Joan W. Zayszly appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2013 January 12:
   North Leeds (2) post office was converted to a Remotely Managed Post Office under the direction of the Postmaster of the Monmouth post office.

today:
   Leeds (2) post office is still in operation.


North Leeds


1826 January 28:
   North Leeds post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1939 December 9:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1940 June 21:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the postmark are approximately 6 mm on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1950 February 9 through 29 June 1950:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 28–30 mm in diameter, and the inner circle is 17–18 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1953 June 30:
   Joseph E. Stetson appointed Acting Postmaster.

1955 October 21:
   Paul F. Gould Jr. appointed Postmaster.

1976 September 30:
   Jean R. Stetson appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1977 February 12:
   Jean R. Stetson appointed Postmaster.

1978 December 29:
   Rodney C. Wood appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1979 May 19:
   Lawrence G. Hayden appointed Postmaster.

1980 April 23:
   North Leeds post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


West Leeds (2)


1866 February 24:
   West Leeds (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1906 June 2:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. (Note that the number of the day [2] is centered, and what appears to be a 1 is simply ink from the edge of the inserted day number.)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1909 April 30:
   West Leeds (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)