Androscoggin County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 5 January 2019)
During the history of the town of Greene, there have beenfive post offices.
Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. Alta post office was established 13 June 1900 and closed 30 June 1910.
2. East Greene post office, a private office, operated from 27 March 1830 to 1 March 1838.
3. Greene (1) post office was established 1 January 1795, became renamed as Greene Depot post office on 10 December 1849, and then the name reverted to Greene (1) post office on 3 May 1851. Greene (1) is still operating.
4. Greene (2) post office was established on 10 December 1849 and was renamed as Greene Corner post office on 3 May 1851, which operated until 30 June 1902.
5. North Greene post office opened on 18 June 1883 and closed on 30 June 1902.
In 1914, there was only one post office in what is now Greene: Greene. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Greene include:
1795 January 1:
Greene (1) post office was established. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1917 January 18:
The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the postmark are approximately 6 mm on center.
Greene (1) post office is still in operation.
1851 February 3:
The former Greene (2) post office was renamed Greene Corner post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1896 September 21:
The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
1902 June 30:
Greene Corner post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)