Durham Postal History
Androscoggin County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 6 April 2019)




During the history of the town of Durham, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Durham (1) was established on 16 December 1818. On 3 September 1849, it was renamed as West Durham post office, which operated until it closed on 30 July 1910.
2. Shiloh post office opened on 29 November 1898 and closed on 30 June 1920.
3. South Durham post office was established on 3 February 1830 and closed on 15 May 1905.
4. South West Bend post office was established on 17 December 1835, and on 3 September 1849 was renamed as Durham (2) post office, which closed on 15 September 1911.


In 1914, there was only one post office in what is now Durham: Shiloh. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Durham include:
Durham (1)
Durham (2)
Shiloh
South Durham
South West Bend
West Durham



Durham (2)

1849 September 3:
   The former South West Bend post office was renamed as Durham (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: E. S. Warren (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1889 April 12: (year determined by contents of envelope)
   The circular postmark is 24–25 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1911 September 15:
   Durham (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



Shiloh

1898 November 29:
   Shiloh post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1907 July 16:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1920 June 30:
   Shiloh post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



South Durham

1830 February 3:
   The South Durham post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: Amos F. Lunt (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1905 May 15:
   South Durham post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



West Durham

1849 September 3:
   The former Durham (1) post office was renamed as West Durham post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: G. Hoit (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1910 July 30:
   West Durham post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)