Auburn Postal History
Androscoggin County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 April 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Kelvin Kindahl, and the Strout family collection.



During the history of what is now the city of Auburn, which was incorporated as a town on 24 February 1842 and as a city on 22 February 1869, there have been 17 post offices.

Briefly, the history of these 16 is as follows: [to be revised]
1. Great Falls Sx was established 16 June 1976 and is still operating.
2. Auburn Plains post office opened on 20 May 1889 and closed on 15 April 1901.
3. Auburn Sta. No. 1, a contract station, was established March 1903 and closed in 2008.
4. Auburn Sta. No. 2, a contract station, was established in March 1903, closed in 1928, reopened in 1934 and closed on a date to be determined.
5. Auburn Sta. No. 3, a contract station, opened in March 1903, closed in 1928, re-opened in 1935, closed in 1935, re-opened in 1957, and closed on a date to be determined.
6. Auburn Sta. No. 4, a contract station, opened on 1 March 1912, closed in 1920, re-opened in 1927, and closed in 1934.
7. Auburn Sta. No. 5, a contract station, opened on 1 March 1912, closed in 1920, re-opened in 1929, and closed in 1934.
8. Auburn Sta. No. 6, a contract station, opened on 1 December 1913 and closed on 31 March 1915.
9. Briggs Corner opened on 23 May 1825 and closed on 5 January 1826.
10. Dirigo (2) opened on 28 March 1896 and closed on 31 July 1901.
11. East Auburn opened on 2 July 1844, closed on 2 July 1845, re-opened 24 December 1849, and closed on 10 April 1901.
12. East Minot (1) post office [in Minot] was established on 29 December 1817 and was renamed on 3 December 1825 as Centre Minot post office, the spelling of which changed to Center Minot. Center Minot post office was renamed on 7 June 1845 as North Auburn post office, which closed on 15 April 1901.
13. Goff’s Corner post office was established on 24 March 1825. On 18 July 1854, it was renamed as Lewiston Falls post office, which operated as such until 27 December 1854 when it was renamed as Auburn (2) post office. Auburn (2) post office is still operating.
14. Nason’s Mills (1) was established on 20 March 1833. On 5 March 1842, it was renamed as Auburn (1) post office, which operated as such until 15 December 1854, when it was renamed as West Auburn post office. West Auburn post office closed on 15 April 1901.
15. Pejepscot (1) post office was renamed on 1 January 1823 as Danville post office, which is still operating.
16. South Danville post office opened on 27 March 1886, closed on 28 December 1887, re-opened on 9 January 1888, and closed on 15 April 1901.
17. West Danville post office was established on 11 March 1850. It closed on 13 November 1850, re-opened on 16 December 1850, and on 10 March 1868 was renamed as South Auburn post office. South Auburn post office was renamed as Lewiston Junction post office on 9 July 1891, which operated until it closed on 28 February 1907.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Auburn: Auburn (2) and Danville. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from the city of Auburn include:
Auburn (1)
Auburn (2)
Auburn Great Falls Station
Auburn Plains
Auburn Sta. No. 1
Auburn Sta. No. 2
Auburn Sta. No. 3
Auburn Sta. No. 4
Auburn Sta. No. 5
Auburn Sta. No. 6
Briggs Corner
Center Minot
Danville
Dirigo (2)
East Auburn
Goff’s Corner
Lewiston Falls
Lewiston Junction
Nason’s Mills
North Auburn
Pejepscot (1)
South Auburn
South Danville
West Auburn
West Danville



Auburn (1)

1842 March 15:
   The former Nason’s Mills (1) post office was renamed as Auburn (1) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1842 October 31: [year determined from letter, but the letter is dated 1 November 1842]
   The rate of 121/2 cents was for 81–150 miles. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1852:
   Postmaster: George R. Ricker Jr. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1854 December 15:
   Auburn (1) post office was renamed as West Auburn post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



Auburn (2)

1854 December 27:
   The former Lewiston Falls post office was renamed as the Auburn (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year? November 21:
   The circular postmark is approximately 35 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1867 August 26:
   The circular postmark is approximately 23 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1876 October 10: [year determined from contents]
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1887 November 11:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1888 March 18 through 1894 June 11:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. The bullseye cancellation to the right of the circle is approximately 32 mm tall and 22 mm wide.
         

      
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1895 September [28?]:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1898 February 23:
   The circular postmark is 24–25 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1905 August 16:
   The circular postmark is 21–22 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1920 June 23:
   The circular postmark is approximately 20 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1931 December 23:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

dates?:
   Auburn (2) post office.
         
      (click on image to enlarge)

1940 January 3:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1941 July 31 through 1949 November 10:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the circle is approximately 33 mm tall, with 4 bars both above and below the numeral. The circular postmark on the back of the 1949 cover is approximately 21 mm in diameter. The rectangle bearing the words "Wear your red feather proudly!" is approximately 43 mm by 20–21 mm, and the longest visible horizontal bars at the right of the rectangle are 15 mm long.
      

         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1942 January 8 through 1947 December 15:
   The circular postmark is 20–22 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1950 June 30:
   Ralph Verville appointed Acting Postmaster.

1954 March 31:
   Donald C. Gautier appointed Acting Postmaster.

1954 May 24:
   Donald C. Gautier appointed Postmaster.

1955:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1956 November 14 through 1956 November 15:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 35–36 mm in diameter; the inner, 27–28 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1963 May 10:
   The circular postmark is 21–22 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1968 September 28:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 17–18 mm in diameter. The inner circle is 9–10 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1973 June 29:
   Joseph H. Albert appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1973 August 20:
   Gabriel O. Dumont appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1973 September 15:
   James E. Donovan appointed Postmaster.

1973 December 31:
   Patrick L. Faucher appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1974 OCTOBer 12:
   Raymond A. Perron appointed Postmaster.

1978 June 23:
   Arthur I. Porwick appointed Officer-in-charge.

1978 September 14:
   Joseph M. Donahue appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1979 May 5:
   John T. Clifford appointed Postmaster.

1981 February 6:
   Alfred J. Doucet appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1981 September 19:
   Gerard N. Oullette appointed Postmaster.

1987 April 3:
   Diane Kelley appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1987 May 21:
   William E. Penley appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1987 July 18:
   Gustav E. Karlsen appointed Postmaster.

1992 October 2:
   David St. Andre appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1993 February 20:
   Peter A. Desjardins appointed Postmaster.

1997 May 13:
   Louis Hiard appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1997 August 16:
   Robert J. Balko appointed Postmaster.

2003 January 2:
   James E. Sylvain appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2003 June 28:
   Michael G. Foster appointed Postmaster.

2008 September 26:
   James H. Thornton appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2009 August 29:
   Kevin D. Clark appointed Postmaster.

2010 June 4:
   Leigh A. St. Pierre appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2010 December 16:
   Russell Hughes appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2011 February 23:
   Brian Carrier appointed OFFicer-in-Charge.

2011 Julyy 16:
   Leigh A. St. Pierre appointed Officer-in-Charge.

date?:
   [?] appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2019 February 16:
   Eric C. Parmenter appointed Postmaster.

today:
   Auburn (2) post office is still in operation.



Danville

1821:
   Postmaster: Moses Rowe (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1821. [But the “Rarity Guide” says that the name Danville was not applied to a post office until 1823 [see next entry])

1823 January 1:
   The former Pejepscot (1) post office was renamed as Danville post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: Jeremiah Stinchfield (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1934 August 20 through 1949 July 26:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

today:
   Danville post office is still in operation.



East Auburn

1844 July 2:
   East Auburn post office was established. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1845 July 2:
   East Auburn post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1849 December 24:
   East Auburn post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: J. C. Briggs (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1901 April 10:
   East Auburn post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



Goff’s Corner

1825 March 24:
   Goff’s Corner post office was established. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1825 June 3: [year determined from contents]
   Manuscript postmark. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1848 December 1: [year determined from contents]
   Research is needed to determine why the postage fee was 3 cents. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1852:
   Postmaster: Joseph D. Davis (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1854 July 18:
   Goff’s Corner post office was renamed as Lewiston Falls post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



North Auburn

1845 June 7:
   The former Center Minot post office was renamed as North Auburn post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: Joseph Keith (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1901 April 15:
   North Auburn post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)



West Danville

1850 March 11:
   West Danville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1850 November 13:
   West Danville post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1850 December 16:
   West Danville post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: J. S. Foster (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1868 March 10:
   West Danville post office renamed as South Auburn post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)