Litchfield Deeds
Kennebec County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 April 2021)

Purpose of this web page: The pages linked to below trace the land transactions in the town of Litchfield, Kennebec County, Maine, starting from the earliest property owners.

How you can help: Please e-mail scanned images or photocopies of deeds to info@vfthomas.com or send them by traditional mail to “Durham Deeds” at the address at the top of this page.

A little work by each of us will save a lot of work for all of us.




1776
   A survey, made by John Merrill, divided the town into six 80-acre lots. The first settlers were:
   Lot 1 - Benjamin Hinckley (1774)
   Lot 2 - Eliphalet Smith (1774)
   Lot 3 - Barnabus Baker
   Lot 4 - Thomas Smith (1780)
   Lot 5 - Benjamin Smith
   Lot 6 - Barnabus Baker Jr.

1795 February 18
   Litchfield, formerly organized as Smithfield Plantation, incorporated. Subsequent changes, all reductions, in Litchfield’s area:
      1816 November 4 - entire neck east of Cobbosseecontee Pond set off to [?]
      1827 - land set off to Wales
      1859 - all of what is now West Gardiner west of the Cobbosseecontee set off to West Gardiner

1860
   Town Farm of 112 acres purchased.