Cottages
Bar Harbor, Hancock County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - 183 Pleasant Street, Apartment 1 - Canton, Maine 04221
info@vfthomas.com - 207-266-5748


(updated 27 July 2015)





Abendruh - north side of Albert Street (now [2014] Albert Meadow)
   1887 March 17 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Abendruh, Mrs. M. E. Farnum's cottage, on Albert avenue, will be repainted by Moore & Pendleton this spring." (p. 3, col. 1)
   1904: owned by Edith (Mrs. Leonard E.) Opdycke
Acadia - Eden Street
   [years?]: owned by a Biddle, a Baker, and a Hoffman
Aldersea - east side of lower Main Street
   1874: designed by George W. Orff
   1904: owned by Edward Coles
   1904: additions designed by Frederick L. Savage
Allison Cottage
Aloha - oceanfront, access from west side of Bridge Street
   1904: owned by Mrs. Robert B. Potter
Am Meer - Shore Path; accessed (in 1904) via a driveway from Wayman Lane
   1904: owned by John I. Kane
Amberside - Hulls Cove
   1906: designed by Frederick L. Savage for Frank T. Howard
Anchorage, The - southeast corner of Prospect Avenue and Union Avenue
   1904: owned by Mrs. Edith S. Whitney estate
   later owners:
      Mrs. Gerald Borden
      Mr. Hancock Griffer
Arcadia - south side of Eagle Lake Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. DeGrasse Fox
   later owned by S. Magargee Wright
Archbold Cottage - west side of Cleftstone Road
Ardeen - Cleftstone Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. Platt-Hunt
As You Like It
   1904: owned by Mrs. Mary I. Higgins
Ash Cottage - Holland Avenue
   1904: owned by Mrs. J. Madison Taylor
Atlantean - 11 Atlantic Avenue
   brief history of the land prior to purchase by Frederick L. Savage
      1887 July 9: George W. Hamilton purchased the land that would eventually be the location of the Atlantean from Thomas H. Swazey, Frederick H. Moses, and Edward Swazey (Hancock County Registry of Deeds book 216, pages 442–444).
      1888 November 12: George W. Hamilton mortgaged the land, along with four other parcels, to Luere B. Deasey, John T. Higgins, George [H.?] Grant, and Fred C. Lynam (231:343–348).
      1889 June 26: George [H.?] Grant sold his portion of this mortgage to Deasey, Higgins, and Lynam, along with 13 other mortgages that he held with them (237:44–46).
      1889 September 9: The above mortgage was foreclosed on (237:522–524), with the property going to the mortgage holders (Deasey, Higgins, and Lynam).
      1894 May 20: John T. Higgins died. Addie B. Dalrymple, the residuary legatee under his will, inherited his share of this mortgage (and, presumably, the 13 others).
   1902 April 23: land (24,597 square feet) purchased by Frederick L. Savage (from Lynam, Deasey, and Dalrymple [see above]; 376:218–220); sale included "all buildings thereon except the ice house which is the personal property of a tenant".
   1903: built for Frederick L. Savage; article (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5) in Bar Harbor Record, Wednesday, 9 April 1903, page 1, columns 5 and 6
   1956 September 18: purchased by L. Everett Gerrish and Kathleen F. Gerrish from Harold P. Whitmore, who was acting as a guardian of Alice R. Savage, Frederick L. Savage's second wife, who was "a person of unsound mind" (Hancock County Registry of Deeds book 793, pages 142–144)
Atlantique - 45 Hancock Street
   designed by Frederick L. Savage
   1904: built for John Innes Kane (a grandson of John Jacob Astor)
   1992: placed on National Registry
   2000: restored
   2007 September 4: cottage
   2014: extant
Auchincloss Cottage - Cleftstone
Audley Cottage
   1904: owned by Miss Elizabeth C. Washington
Austin Cottage - Wayman Lane
Bagatelle - Eden Street
   1904: owned by Mrs. Edmund Pendleton
Balance Rock - Shore Path, accessed in 1904 from Albert Avenue (now [2014] Albert Meadow)
   1904: owned by Alexander Maitland
   2007 September 4: cottage/inn (partial view)
   2009 November 22: cottage/inn (whole view)
   2011 December 12: entrance side [photo by Doug Tuttle]
   2014: extant (as Balance Rock Inn)
Baltimore Cottage - Locust Lane
Bandbox - Cottage Street
   1904: owned by John Hone
   1907 November 6: "Mr. John Hone is having a fine granite cellar wall placed under The Bandbox on Cottage Street. George L. Wescott is doing this work." (The Bar Harbor Record, 6 November 1907, p. 1, col 3)
Ban-y-Byrn
   designed by S. V. Stratton
   1888–1889: built for Albert Clifford Barney of Cincinnati
   1930: purchased by Joseph Wholean
   1947: burned
   1904: owned by A. C. Barney estate
Barberry Ledge - west side of Cleftstone Road
Barnacles, The - east side of Eden Street but not oceanfront property
   1904: owned by Edmund Pendleton
Bass Cottage - The Field
Bass Cottage - Kebo Street
Baymeath - Hulls Cove
   designed by Andrews, Jaques & Rantoul of Boston
   1895–1896: built for Mrs. Louise DeKoven Bowen (Mrs. Joseph T. Bowen)
   1904: owned by Joseph T. Bowen
   1979: torn down
Beachcroft - east side of lower Main Street, shared driveway with Larchsea
   1904: owned by C. Morton Smith
   [date?]: cottage (from image in 1919 publication Who's Who at the leading Watering Resorts in Maine, contributed by Doug Tuttle)
Beau Desert - east side of Eden Street
   1881: designed by William R. Emerson of Boston
   1904: owned by Augustus C. and Miss Gurnee
   [year?]: torn down
Bide-a-while - along former portion of Shore Path (which ends now [2014] at Wayman Lane); driveway access from Barberry Lane
   1904: owned by J. L. Ketterlinus
   1907 November 6: "[A]t Mr. J. L. Ketterlinus' Bide-a-While, Contractor R. H. Moon has quite a piece of work." (The Bar Harbor Record, 6 November 1907, p. 1, col 3)
Bierka - 7 Stephens Lane
   1904: owned by Augustus Franzen
   2009 November 21: cottage
   2014: extant
Birch Point - Shore Path
   1868: built
   1904: owned by Mrs. Alpheus Hardy
   1938: torn down in 1938
Bird Cage - north side of Eagle Lake Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. Mary D. Biddle estate
Bird Cottage - [Holland Avenue?]
Birnam - Highbrook Road (Bloomfield Road)
   designed by Rotch & Tilden of Boston
   1892–1893: built for Charles Fry of Manchester, Massachusetts
   1904: owned by Mrs. Charles Fry
   ca. 1945: torn down
Blair Eyrie - Highbrook Road
   1888: built by Sidney V. Stratton of Frank Quinby Associates for George Wheeler; originally called Avamaya
   1901: purchased by DeWitt Clinton Blair of New York
   ca. 1935 - torn down
   [year?]: Summit House built on this site
   2007 September 4: gate, gatepost
   2013: Summit House torn down
   2013–2014: hotel built on site
Blake Lodge
Bogue Chitto - Hulls Cove
   designed by W. H. Day
   1888: completed for John A. Morris
   1904: owned by John A. Morris estate
   ca. 1961: torn down
Boscobel - West Street
   1887: built for James E. Foster
Boulder, The west side of Kebo Street
   1904: owned by John H. Livingston
Bournemouth - Eden Street
   designed by William Ralph Emerson
   1885–1886: built for W. B. Walley of Boston
   later owned by Mrs. Archibald Cary Harrison
   1925: purchased by Mrs. Robert Hall McCormick Jr.
   1979: torn down
Bowling Green - east side of Eden Street but not oceanfront property
   1904: owned by Mrs. Enid Hunt Slater (aunt of Kurt Diederich, in whose memory she funded the memorial path "Kurt Diederich's Climb")
   1923 March: purchased by Arthur Ryle; article, in The Bar Harbor Times, Wednesday, 30 March 1923; page 1, column 5
   later owned by Ethel N. Torrey
   2007 September 4: capstone
Breakwater, The - Shore Path (45 Hancock Street)
   designed by Fred Savage
   1904: built for John Innes Kane
Breeze, The - 125 West Street (north side)
   1896: built for Mrs. A. P. Peabody
   1904: owned by Mrs. A. P. Peabody
   2009 November 22: cottage
   2014: extant
Briarbound
   1904: owned by William W. White
Briarfield - corner of Cottage Street and High Street
   1904: owned by R. C. Church
Briars, The Shore Path, accessed in 1904 from Barberry Lane
   designed by William Ralph Emerson
   1881: built for Joshua Montgomery Sears of Boston
   1887 July 14 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Mr. Sears house will be called Briar Cottage." (p. 1, col. 3)
   1904: owned by Joshua Montgomery Sears
   1908 (summer): rented by John D. Rockefeller Jr. (and his son Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller was born there)
   1909: purchased by Thomas F. Walsh for his daughter Evalyn and her husband, Edward Beale "Ned" McLean and renamed Briar Cliffe (report of sale in 12 December 1909 issue of The Bar Harbor Record, p. 1, col. 4)
   [date?]: cottage (from image in 1919 publication Who's Who at the leading Watering Resorts in Maine, contributed by Doug Tuttle)
   1968: torn down, except a servants' wing that was converted into a guest house
Brigham Cottage - Schooner Head Road
Brook End - east side of Eden Street, south of the mouth of Duck Brook
Brookside - Hulls Cove
Buena Vista
   1881: built
   1904: alterations designed by Frederick L. Savage
   1904: owned by James T. Hinch estate
Buonriposo - Eden Street
   designed by Ernesto Fabbri
   1904 built for Ernesto Fabbri
   1918: burned
   1919: rebuilt
   1963: torn down
Buoy, The - north side of West Street
   1896: purchased by A. Bleecker Banks, article in Bar Harbor Record, Tuesday, 25 August 1896, page 4, column 5
Burnmouth - east of Eden Street
   1904: owned by Mrs. Archibald Harrison
Callendar House - west side of Schooner Head Road, bordered on the north by Bear Brook
   designed by Frederick L. Savage
   1901 April 16: burned prior to completion
   1904: owned by Mrs. John C. Livingston
Canary Cottage - west side of Kebo Street
   1904: owned by Mrs. Geraldyn Redmond
Canoe Point    owned by:
      [...] Prime
      [...] Renshaw
       Scott Lane
Casa Far Niente - north side of West Street
   designed by Bruce Pierce
   1882: built for William B. Rice
   1904: owned by William B. Rice estate
   1925: purchased by Edward Porter May
   [date?]: cottage (from image on old postcard, contributed by Doug Tuttle)
   1943: torn down
Cedars, The - corner of Bloomfield Road and Devon Road
   1904: owned by George W. Guthrie
Chantier - south side of West Street
   1904: owned by Miss Julia Stevens
Chatwold - east side of Schooner Head Road; immediately south of Bear Brook
   1892 August 4: advertised for sale, from The Bar Harbor Record, page 4, column 3
   1893 (June): owned by Louisa Bowler Livingston
   1893 (June): leased by Joseph Pulitzer
   1894 May 30: purchased by Joseph Pulitzer (Hancock County Registry of Deeds 284:4–6)
   1895: accidental death of worker; article (part 1, part 2), from Bar Harbor Record, Wednesday, 15 May 1895, page 13, column 3
   1895: remodeled by Joseph Pulitzer; article (part 1, part 2), from Bar Harbor Record, Wednesday, 9 October 1895, page 1, column 3
   1904: owned by Joseph Pulitzer
   [date?]: cottage (from online image of old postcard)
   1945: torn down
Chiltern - east side of Main Street, along south side of Cromwell Harbor Brook
   1895 September 24: land purchase by Edgar T. Scott; article (part 1, part 2), from Bar Harbor Record, Saturday, 28 September 1895, page 1, column 3
   designed by William Longfellow of Boston
   1896: plans drawn by Philadelphia architect William Cope; article, from Bar Harbor Record, Tuesday, 25 August 1896, page 4, column 2
   1904: owned by Edgar T. Scott
   [year?]: torn down
Clearfield - 17 Albert Meadow
   1887: built
   1904: owned by Mary (Mrs. Morris) Longstreth
   2009 November 21: cottage
   2014: extant
Cleftstone Cottage - west side of Eden Street
   1887 July 14 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Miss Aurora Grelaud, of Boston, is visiting Mrs. Nathan Matthews at Cleftstone cottage." (p. 1, col. 3)
   1904: owned by Frank Ellis
Clover Cottage - 96 Cottage Street, corner of Cottage Street and Ash Place
   1904: owned by Mrs. Caroline S. Leffingwell
Clovercroft - east side of Eden Street
   designed by Rotch & Tilden of Boston
   1883–1884: built for George and Iphynia G. (Livor) Place of New York
   1939 September 7: advertisement in The Bar Harbor Times (page 5, columns 7 and 8)
   1947: burned
   2007 September 4: capstone
Colonial Hall - north side of Prospect Avenue
   1904: owned by Mrs. Mary T. Armour and Mrs. Louise Este King
   later owned by Brook Fenno
Columbia Cottage - The Field
   1904: owned by J. P. Bass
Columbia Cottage - Stephens Lane
Corfield - east side of Eden Street
   designed by Rotch & Tilden of Boston
   1893: built for Mrs. George P. Bowler of Cincinnati
   1904: owned by Robert Pendleton Bowler
   1907 November 6: "At Corfield, Mr. Robert Pendleton Bowler's estate, changes evidently to be made in the position of the driveway, are already staked out, and awaiting the workmen." (The Bar Harbor Record, 6 November 1907, p. 1, col 3)
   1922: purchased by William Cooper Procter
   ca. 1965: torn down
Cornersmeet - southeast corner of Kebo Street and Mount Desert Street
   1904: owned by Malvern Hotel and Land Improvement Company
   1947: burned
Cover Farm - Hulls Cove
   owned by:
      Mrs. Olive Tilton
      Mrs. John Thayer
      [...] Frazier
Cragsend - south side of Eagle Lake Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. Mary D. Biddle estate
Cra(i)gs, The - Spring Street
   designed by Bruce Price
   1879–1880: built for Robert Amory, a physician, lecturer, and medical researcher. Born in Brookline, he moved to Boston with his second wife and raised his family there. The family was quite affluent in corporate finance, cotton mills, and trade. Robert's mother was a Copley, and he was the great-grandson of John Singleton Copley, the portrait artist of Boston, famous for painting John Adams, Sam Adams, Paul Revere, and others, and for whom Copley Square is named. (Copley's father-in-law, Richard Clarke is connected to the Boston Tea Party.)—biographical information contributed by Ron Lecours, who lives with his wife in a building once owned by Robert Amory
   1946: torn down
Crossways, The - corner of West Street and Holland Avenue
   1904: owned by William B. Rice estate
Crowsnest - north side of Wayman Lane
   1904: owned by Mary I. (Mrs. Robert) Emmons
Davis Cottage
Denison Cottage - Prospect Avenue
Devilstone - Shore Path; accessed (in 1904) via a driveway from east end of Hancock Street
   designed by Rotch & Tilden of Boston
   1885: built for Mrs. George Bowler
   1887 July 14 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Mrs. Wm. H. Vanderbilt and her son George arrived on the morning train yesterday. They will occupy the "Devilstone" cottage as usual." (p. 1, col. 4)
   later owned by James T. Woodward of New York
   later owned by Mrs. Thomas A. Scott
   1901: wing designed by Frederick L. Savage
   1904: owned by Mary S. (Mrs. Clement B.) Newbold (daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas A. Scott)
   later owned by Miss Frances Coleman who changed its name to Eaglestone
   1928: wing added
   1968: main section torn down; wing remains
Devon - south side of Eagle Lake Road
   designed by Rotch & Tilden of Boston
   1888: built
   [year?]: owned by H. C. Wilkins
   1904: owned by H. C. Wilkins estate
   later owned by Harold Peabody
   1947: burned
Donaque - east side if Cleftstone Road
   designed by Andrews, Jaques & Rantoul of Boston
   1893–1894: built for A. Howard Hinckle of Cincinnati
   1894 August 25: reception held, reported in Bar Harbor Record, Wednesday, 29 August 1894, page 1, column 3
   1904: owned by A. Howard Hinkle
   ca. 1939: torn down
Dust Pan Cottage - east side of Eden Street
   designed by Rotch & Tilden of Boston
   1886: built for Rufus King of Cincinnati
   later owned by Mrs. W. E. Montgomery
   later owned by James Cunningham
   1947: burned
Dutch Cottage Kebo Street
   1904: owned by Malvern Hotel and Land Improvement Company
Eagle Cliff - ocean side of what is now [2014] Oldfarm Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. Lea McI. Luquer
Eaglestone - see Devilstone
Eastcote
   1904: owned by Mrs. J. Pierrepont Edwards
Eden Brook - non-ocean side of Eden Street
   1903: built for Amos R. E. Pinchot
   later owned by Elizabeth Hudson
   1947: burned
Eden Hall - Shore Path; accessed (in 1904) via a driveway from east end of Atlantic Avenue, the driveway shared with Edgemere and Wayside
   origin of name: article (part 1, part 2, part 3) published in The Bar Harbor Times, Wednesday, 30 June 1926, page 8, column 4
   1904: owned by Frances E. (Mrs. Thomas B.) Musgrave
Edenbrae
   1904: owned by Mrs. Louise K. Wilson and Mrs. S. S. Kimball Constable
Edgefield - The Field
   1904: owned by Mrs. F. N. Goddard
Edgemere - near Shore Path; accessed (in 1904) via a driveway from east end of Atlantic Avenue, the driveway shared with Eden Hall and Wayside
   designed by William Ralph Emerson
   1881: built for Thomas B. Musgrave
   1904: owned by Frances E. (Mrs. Thomas B.) Musgrave
   later owned by William Sherman, Chester Barnett, and Beatrix (Jones) Farrand
   1938: torn down
Edgewater - Schooner Head
   1899–1900 - built by Edward B. Mears for Charles Francis of Boston; "The plans for this house were made in Mr. Mears' office, and through the courtesy of Mr. T. M. Merryweather, who has had much to do with their preparation, a [Bar Harbor] Record representative was permitted to examine them. The house is situated about east and west, and the general dimensions are 37 x 63 feet. It is three stories in height, the first story of which is constructed of rough field stone. The second story overhangs the stone work, and this in turn is surmounted by an overhanging roof, ornamented by two dormer windows on each side, north and south. The upper portion of the house is built of wood, and its exterior appearance is enhanced by the handsome shingles with which the walls and roof are covered. These are made from the celebrated red wood of California, which material, up to the present time, has been but little used in this section." [Bar Harbor Record, 7 February 1900; p. 1, cols. 4–5.]
   1904: owned by Charles Francis estate
   1947: burned
Eegonos - Eden Street
Ellis Cottage - Cleftstone Road
Elsinore - east side of Cleftstone Road
   designed by Andrews, Jaques & Rantoul of Boston
   1893–1894: built for Hugh McMillan of Detroit
   1904: owned by Hugh McMillan
   later owned by Mrs. Henry F. Dimock
   ca. 1945: torn down
Eno Cottage - ocean side of Eden Street, north of Duck Brook
   1904: owned by Henry Lane Eno
Eyrie, The - Spring Street
   designed by William Ralph Emerson of Boston
   1881: built for Robert Amory
   1904: owned by Robert Amory
   later owned by Mrs. Augustus Thorndike, Amory's daughter
   [1899?] (September): burned
   1900: rebuilt; "Rising from the summit of Amory hill stands the new 'Eyrie,' the beautiful summer home that Dr. Robert Amory of Boston, is erecting to take the place of the one destroyed by fire on the 7th day of last September. ... The building is situated in about the same position as was the one that was burned and faces nearly east. It is a somewhat higher structure and thereby commands a more extensive view. It is built to represent three sides of an octogon [sic], presenting a front of about 55 feet, while the entire length is about 100 feet and the width 34 feet." [Bar Harbor Record, 3 January 1900; p. 1]
   1942: torn down
Fabbri Cottage - Eden Street
   [date?]: cottage (from image on old postcard, contributed by Doug Tuttle)
Fabian Cottage - Eden Street
   designed by John Clark
   1885–1886: built for R. L. Fabian
   1887(?): tower added
   1889: two-story addition
   1975: torn down
Fairview - Eagle Lake Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. John Harrison
Far Niente - West Street
   1904: owned by William B. Rice estate
Far View - Eden Street
   designed by Andrews, Jaques & Rantoul of Boston
   1909: built for Philip Livingston
   1938: purchased by Mary Roberts Rinehart; article in The Bar Harbor Times, 5 May 1938, page 1, column 5
   1947: burned
   Wonderview Motel built on site
Faraway - north side of Eagle Lake Road
   1885: designed by Furness, Evans & Co. of Philadelphia
   [year?]: built for Mrs. John Harrison
   1904: owned by John Harrison
Fernhill - Eagle Lake Road
   1904: owned by Miss Dorothea C. and Miss Fanny Norris
Foster Cottage - High Street
Four Acres - ocean side of Eden Street
   designed by Chapman & Fraser of Boston
   1903: built for Alexander J. Cassatt of Philadelphia
   1904: owned by Alexander J. Cassatt
   1925: purchased by Edward T. Stotesbury of Philadelphia
   remodeling design by Magaziner, Eberhard & Harris;
   [year?]: renamed Wingwood House
   1953: torn down
Franzen Cottage - The Field
Frost Cottage - southeast corner of West Street and Bridge Street
   1904: owned by S. Weir Mitchell
Geranium (Cottage) - east side of Kebo Street
   1904: owned by Malvern Hotel and Land Improvement Company
Glen Eyrie - west side of Eden Street, north side of Duck Brook
   1902: built for John B. Henderson of Missouri
   1904: owned by John B. Henderson
   ca. 1933: torn down
Grace Cottage - Mount Desert Street
Grant, H. A., Cottage - east end of Albert Street (now [2014] Albert Meadow)
   1869: built for H. A. Grant
   1904: owned by Mrs. H. A. Grant
   2009 September 23: Grant Park (site of cottage), plaque
Graycote - see Graywood Cottage
Graywood Cottage - east side of Holland Avenue
   1904: owned by Mrs. Caroline S. Leffingwell
   [date?]: renamed Graycote and converted to an inn
   2014 February 3: cottage with sign, northwest view
Green Lodge - Amory Lane
   1904: owned by Robert Amory
Greencourt - Prospect Avenue
   1904: owned by Miss Charlotte Pendleton
   later owned by:
      Mrs. Crawford Clark
      Seward Webb
      Bruce French
Greenlawn - 123 West Street; north (ocean) side
   1887: built for Mr. and Mrs. William Rice of Massachusetts
   1896: purchased by Mrs. William Lawrence Green
   1904: owned by Mrs. William Lawrence Green
   2009 November 22: cottage
   2014: extant
Greenway Court - lower Main Street
   designed by Andrews, Jaques & Rantoul of Boston
   1910: built for Francis Burton Harrison
   1947: burned
Greystone - west side of Eden Street, south side of Duck Brook
   1904: owned by Mrs. M. Cary Lea
Greywood
Guelph - West Street
   1887 July 14 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Mr. Francis Phelps is with his father, Prof. Austin Phelps, at his cottage on West street." (p. 1, col. 3)
   1904: owned by Austin Phelps and Mary A. Phelps; property extended from West Street to Frenchman Bay, and was bounded on the west by Bridge Street and on the east by "The Swimming Club"
Guptill Cottage - Roberts Avenue
Guthrie Cottage - Bloomfield Road
Guy's Cliff - east side of Eden Street
   designed by W. Jordan
   ca. 1870: built for Charles T. How
   1904: owned by Mrs. Edwin C. Cushman of Newport, Rhode Island
   1925 July: purchased by John J. O'Brien; announcement in The Bar Harbor Times, Wednesday, 15 July 1925, page 1, column 4
   1926: purchased by James Byrne
   remodeled by office of Guy Lowell
   willed to Oblate Fathers
   purchased by Bernard Cough
   purchased by College of the Atlantic
Hackmatack Hulls Cove
   1904: owned by Miss Helen Beach
Hardy Cottage - east side of Kebo Street
   1904: owned by Malvern Hotel and Land Improvement Company
Hare Forest - see Ledge Cliff
Hauterive - east side of Eden Street
   1904: owned by Mrs. Miles B. Carpenter
   1907 November 6: "Further up Eden Street [from The Turrets] Mrs. Miles B. Carpenter is going to have a big seawall built this year at Hauterive." (The Bar Harbor Record, 6 November 1907, p. 1, col 3)
   2008 April 9: capstone
Higgins Cottage, Alcenus - Holland Avenue
Higgins Cottage, S. N. - The Field
Highbrook - corner of Highbrook Road and Eden Street
   designed by William Ralph Emerson
   1881: built for Mary Leeds (Mrs. James Leeds) of Boston
   1887 July 14 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Miss F. M. Gibbs, who was staying with Mrs. Leeds at Highbrook, has removed to the Newport House." (p. 1, col. 3)
   1904: owned by Mrs. James Leeds
   1925: purchased by Mrs. A. Mansfield Patterson
   1947: burned
Highfield - west side of Cleftstone Road, How's Park
   1904: owned by Mrs. Nathan Matthews
   1947: burned
Highseas - Schooner Head Road
   1911: designed by Frederick L. Savage for Rudolph E. Brunnow
   2014 May 11: cottage
Hillcrest
   1904: owned by Thomas H. Hubbard
Hillhurst
   1904: owned by Mrs. W. W. Seeley
Hilltop - Eagle Lake Road
Hinch Cottage - High Street
Homewood - south side of Eagle Lake Road
   designed by William Ralph Emerson
   1883: built
   [year?]: purchased by Mrs. M. D. Sanders of Philadelphia
   1904: owned by Mrs. M. D. Sanders estate
   later owned by Hugh Scott of Philadelphia
   1947: burned
Honfleur House - Hulls Cove
   designed by John Clark
   1896: built for Herbert Parsons of New York
   1904: owned by Mrs. Herbert Parsons
   later owned by Sumner Welles
   1964: torn down
Ingleside - west of Kebo Street, along north side of road leading to/from Thirlstane
   1904: owned by William Lawrence
Ingraham Cottage - High Street
Islecote - Ogden Point, east side of lower Main Street; referred to as the "Schieffelin Cottage" in a 1902 newspaper account of its construction
   designed by A. W. Longfellow
   1901–1902: built for George Washington Vanderbilt. "The Schieffelin cottage which Mr. Vanderbilt is building on the point of land to the south of that occupied by his own cottage, is an imposing structure commanding an extensive view of the ocean on the east and of the mountains on the south and west. This house will be occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Jay Schieffelin and family, whose name it bears." [It was called the "Schieffelin Cottage" in the Bar Harbor Record, 22 January 1902; p. 1, col. 3.; Mrs. Schieffelin was a niece of George Washington Vanderbilt.]
      "In size the house is 45 x 127 feet, situated east and west with the front facing the south. The design is irregular and picturesque, and the second story overgangs. ... The house is four stories in height including the basement and finished attic. There is no cellar proper, the lower floor being almost wholly above ground. ... The first story is mostl stone with ashlar walls of warm and varying colors, and the joints are laid large. The building is surmounted by a steep hip roof broken up with numerous ridges and gables of various heights." [Bar Harbor Record, 22 January 1902; p. 1, col. 3]
   1904: owned by George Washington Vanderbilt
   1940: torn down
Italian Villa, The - west side of Eden Street
   designed by Rotch & Tilden of Boston
   1886: built for George Harris of East Machias
   1904: owned by Mrs. George Harris
   later owned by F. McCormick-Goodhart of Washington, D.C.
   1947: burned
Jacobs Well - southeast corner of Eden Street and West Street
   1904: owned by L. T. Dickson estate
Kebo (Cottage)
   1904: owned by Malvern Hotel and Land Improvement Company
Kedge, The - southwest corner of West and Bridge Streets
   1904: owned by Mrs. J. M. P. Price
Keewaydin - west side of lower Main Street
   designed by Lamb & Rich of New York
   1898: built for Gardiner Sherman of New York
   1904: owned by Gardner Sherman
   1925: owned by Edward Porter May and Lucy (Conger) May (until Edward May's death on 9 August 1927)
   1927: owned by Lucy (Conger) May
   1947: burned
Kenarden Lodge - along former portion of Shore Path (which ends now [2014] at Wayman Lane); driveway access from Barberry Lane
   designed by Rowe and Baker of New York City
   1892: built for John Stewart Kennedy
   1904: owned by John Stewart Kennedy
   1906 August 8 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Mr. and Mrs. John S. Kennedy have decided to open their grounds to the public on Saturday afternoons in August from 3 to 6 o'clock. In order that the grounds may not be unduly crowded at any time they will limit the number to be admitted on each occasion to 100, and tickets of admission will be left at the office of the selectmen, where they may be had in order of application. Each ticket will admit but one person. Tickets for Saturday the 11th, will be ready for delivery on Thursday, next, and on each Thursday thereafter." (p. 5, col. 1)
   [date?]: cottage (from image on old postcard, contributed by Doug Tuttle)
   1933 May 9: purchased by Ethel M. Dorrance
   1960: torn down
   1970s: new cottage built on site for Tristram Colket
Knoll, The - south side of Eagle Lake Road
   1904: owned by H. C. Wilkins estate
   1947: burned
Kossuth - northwest corner of Mount Desert Street and Holland Avenue
   1904: owned by Mrs. Frank Fremont-Smith
Kragmyr - Cleftstone Road
La Rochelle - 127 West Street (north side)
La Selva
   1904: owned by Mrs. A. J. Davis
   2007 September 17: capstone
   2011 December 12: ocean side [photo by Doug Tuttle]
   2011 December 12: Route 3 side [photo by Doug Tuttle]
Ladd Bungalow - Mountain Avenue
Larchsea east side of lower Main Street, shared driveway with Beachcroft
   1904: owned by Mrs. John Markoe
Ledge, The - along former portion of Shore Path (which ends now [2014] at Wayman Lane); driveway access from Barberry Lane
   1904: owned by Mrs. Lucien Carr
Ledge Cliff - east side of Schooner Head Road; in 1904, the third parcel south of Bear Brook—the first (on which Chatwold stood) owned by Joseph Pulitzer and the second (with no buildings) owned by Robert P. Bowler.
   designed by Andrews, Jaques & Rantoul of Boston
   1899–1900: built by Edward B. Mears for Lorenzo N. Kettle; "The house is situated nearly north and south, 106 feet in length by 36 feet in depth. It is constructed of wood, and the walls and roof are shingled. On the water front are two handsome gables, and two dormer windows all being decorated with fancy scroll work in pine. On the west and south are four gables finished in plaster. The center gable on the west side is an enormous affair reaching nearly to the ground. Through this gable light is admitted to the staircase within." [Bar Harbor Record, Wednesday evening, February 7, 1900; p. 1, col. 3. The description in the paper continues at length.]
   1904: owned by Lorenzo N. Kettle, wool merchant of Weston, Massachusetts, who died before June 1912
   1926 (September 8): purchased from trustees of Kettle's estate by Pauline K. Palmer, of Chicago, Illinois, who changed name to Hare Forest (Hancock County Registry of Deeds book 605, pages 551–553)
   1947: burned
Ledge Hollow - southwest corner of Wayman Lane and Barberry Lane
   1904: owned by T. M. Rotch
Ledge Lawn
   1876: built by W. Jordan for Miss Mary Shannon
   1902: torn down
Lee Cottage - West Street
Lee Cottage - Hulls Cove
Leeward - West Street
Little Lookout - Eagle Lake Road
   1887 July 14 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Mr. Gardner Sherman's little daughter is staying with her grandmother, Mrs. Charles Gordon, at the Little Lookout on Eagle Lake Road." (p. 1, col. 3)
Llangollen - north side of Eagle Lake Road
   1896: built for Charles Jackson
   1904: owned by Mrs. Charles Carroll Jackson
   later owners (in turn): Mrs. William Blake, Mrs. Duer Baker, Prince Mahmet Burhaneddin
   1947: burned
Locuusts, The - Shore Path
Lombard Cottage - east side of Eden Street
   1904: owned by Miss S. S. Lombard
Lookout, The - north side of Eagle Lake Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. Moncure Robinson
Lynam Cottage - Federal Street
McMillan Cottage
Maisonette - West Street
Mare Vista - Atlantic Avenue
   1904: owned by Mrs. T. B. Musgrave
Marigold Cottage - north side of Albert Street (now [2014] Albert Meadow)
   1887 March 17 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Mrs. J. M. Cary's cottage, Marigold, will have an addition billet to it this spring." (p. 3, col. 1)
   1904: owned by Miss Jane M. Cary
   2014: extant
McKay Cottage
   [date?]: cottage (from image on old postcard, contributed by Doug Tuttle)
Meadow Brook - Schooner Head Road
Meadowridge (also Meadow Ridge) - north side of Albert Street (now [2014] Albert Meadow)
   1881: built by Albert Higgins
   1885: purchased by Parke Godwin
   1904: owned by Parke Godwin estate
   later owned by Fred Jellison
   later owned by Alice Kiaer
   ca. 1955: torn down
Miller Cottage - Mount Desert Street [#79 in 1926]
Minto Cottage - The Field
Mira Monte - north side of Mount Desert Street
   1864: built for Orlando Ash
   1904: owned by Mrs. H. C. Chapman
Miramiche - Cleftstone Road
Mizzentop - Cleftstone Road
   designed by H. L. Putnam of Boston
   1883–1884: built for Louisa Dumaresq Hunt (née Perkins), widow of artist William Morris Hunt
   1895 (October 15): purchased by Sarah Lord McCormick by Louisa D. Hunt (Hancock County Registry of Deeds book 294, pages 379–382)
   1895 (October): alterations begun; "Messrs. Jordan & Paine began the work on the alterations last October and they have completely changed the interior and exterior appearances of the house." (Bar Harbor Record, 15 April 1896, p. 1, col. 4)
      plumbing: Leighton Davenport & Co.; mason: Mr. Wescott; grounds work: W. P. Blanchfield
   1896 (April): "Mizzentop the newly altered house of Mr. R. Hall McCormick, of Chicago, is nearly finished and will be occupied by Mr. McCormick and his family in early June. ... When the alterations are completed they will cost about $10,000." (Bar Harbor Record, 15 April 1896, p. 1, col. 4)
   1904: owned by Robert Hall McCormick (grandson of Cyrus McCormick)
   1925 (December 26): purchased by Henry and Josephine Morgenthau (Hancock County Registry of Deeds book 598, pages 347–350 and 351–353)
   1947: burned
   2011 December 12: capstone [photo by Doug Tuttle]
Moorings, The - east side of Eden Street
   1904: owned by Miss Mary Sharswood
Mossley Hall
   designed by William Ralph Emerson
   1882–1883: built for William B. Howard of Chicago
   1904: owned by Mrs. William B. Howard
   1947: burned (source: American Country Houses of the Gilded Age by Arnold Lewis, 978-0486243016)
Nannau - Lower Main Street
Nasturtium Cottage - Highbrook Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. Edward McCauley
Okeden - east side of lower Main Street
   1904: owned by David B. Ogden
Oldfarm - east side of lower Main Street
   designed by Henry Richards
   1878–1880: built for Charles Hazen Dorr of Boston
   1904: owned by George Bucknam Dorr (son of Charles Hazen Dorr)
   1951: torn down
   2008 May 1: (formerly covered) terrace
Old Rectory
   1904: owned by Christopher Starr Leffingwell estate
Parker Cottage
Pinchot Cottage - west side of Eden Street
   1903: built for Amos Pinchot of New York (brother of Gifford Pinchot)
   1947: burned
Pinehurst - southwest corner of Eagle Lake Road and Kebo Street
   1904: owned by Mrs. M. D. Sanders estate
Pointe d'Acadie - Ogden Point, east side of lower Main Street
   designed by Charles Coolidge Haight
   1868–1869: built for Gouverneur Morris Ogden of New York and called Watersmeet
   1889: purchased by George Washington Vanderbilt who renamed it
   1904: owned by George Washington Vanderbilt
   later owned by George H. McFadden of Philadelphia
   1956: torn down
Poplars, The - north side of Atlantic Avenue
   1904: owned by Rufus E. Shapley
Poplars, The - northwest corner of Mount Desert Street and High Street
   1899 (April 5): Harden house and Getchell stables purchased by Lewis A. Roberts, a retired book publisher of Boston, and torn down. [Hancock Registry of Deeds book 336, pages 31–35]
   1899–1900: designed by Goddard & Hunt, architects; "On the corner of High and Mount Desert streets Mr. L. A. Roberts has erected a second house [the first being what is now Thornhedge at the corner of Mount Desert Street and Roberts Avenue] which has been named 'The Poplars.' It is a three story building 33 x 78 feet in size with an English basement. It is built of wood and rough stucco work with rough timber trimmings. An overhanging second story ornamented with projecting gables, with dormer windows in the roof complete the general exterior description." [Bar Harbor Record, 21 March 1900; p. 1, col. 4]
   1904: owned by Lewis A. Roberts estate and by that time called "Stratford House"
   1920 (November 8): purchased from estate of Lewis A. Roberts by Margaret Riviere Pendleton [Hancock County Registry of Deeds book 553, pages 471–472. This is just the Stratford House parcel; i.e., the eastern portion of the parcel purchased in 1899 by Lewis A. Roberts.]
   1937 (April 24): purchased from Margaret Riviere Pendleton by Silas A. Coffin and Phyllis C. Coffin [Hancock County Registry of Deeds book 655, pages 523–523]
Primrose Cottage Mount Desert Street
   1904: owned by C. S. Leffingwell estate
Redwood - along former portion of Shore Path (which ends now [2014] at Wayman Lane); driveway access from Barberry Lane
   1904: owned by C. J. Morrill estate
   [date?]: cottage (from image in 1919 publication Who's Who at the leading Watering Resorts in Maine, contributed by Doug Tuttle)
Reef Point - near Shore Path; accessed (in 1904) via a driveway from east end of Hancock Street
   designed by Rotch & Tilden of Boston
   1883: built for Mary C. (Mrs. Cadwalader) Jones (mother of Beatrix (Jones) Farrand)
   1904: owned by Mrs. Cadwalader Jones
   1955: torn down
Reverie Cove - south side of Prospect Avenue
   1892: designed by Frederick L. Savage
   1904: owned by Mrs. John D. Jones
   later owned by:
      Miss S. Hewitt
      DeForest Grant
      [...] Blanchard
Rexcote - north side of Prospect Avenue
   1904: owned by Mrs. Louise Este King
Richardson (Cottage)
   1904: owned by Malvern Hotel and Land Improvement Company
Rock Brook - Eden Street
   2007 September 4: capstone
Rockburn(e) - Woodbury Road; west side of Devon Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. A. D. Addison
Rock Hurst - Mount Desert Street
Rocklyn - Eden Street
   1881–1882: built for James Hinch
   1904: owned by Phillip Livingston
   1947: burned
   2007 September 4: steps, capstone
Royeden - Atlantic Avenue
Saltair - 121 West Street (north side)
   1887: built for William B. Rice
   1896: purchased by A. Bleecker Banks, article in Bar Harbor Record, Tuesday, 25 August 1896, page 4, column 5
   1904: owned by A. Bleecker Banks
   later owned by:
      Mrs. M. Langhorne
      Mrs. Edward Browning
      Keith Barnes
      Curtis Symonds
   2009 November 22: cottage/inn
   2014: extant (as Saltair Inn)
Schieffelin Cottage - see Islecote
Sea Fox - east side of Eden Street
   1904: owned by Alanson Tucker
Sea Urchins - east side of Eden Street
   1887 July 14 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Mr. Burton Harrison has arrived and is staying with his family at the Sea Urchins." (p. 1, col. 3)
   1887 July 14 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Mrs. Burton Harrison and family will visit the Provinces during the month of August, when Secretary Whitney will occupy their cottage, the Sea Urchins." (p. 1, col. 4)
   1904: owned by Mrs. Burton Harrison
   later owned by:
      E. Victor L[...]
      Michael Pulitzer
      Frank Collins
      College of the Atlantic
Seacroft - north side of Albert Street (now [2014] Albert Meadow)
   1904: owned by Mrs. Robert B. Bowler
   2009 November 16: cottage
   2014: extant
Shore Acres along Shore Path; accessed in 1904 from Main Street
   designed by William Ralph Emerson
   1881: built for Haskett Derby of Boston
   1904: owned by Haskett Derby
   1914: inherited by Mrs. Haskett Derby
   about 1957: torn down
Silver Birches - Eden Street
Sonogee - east side of Route 3, north of village of Bar Harbor
   1903: built for Henry Lane Eno
   later owned by Frederick Vanderbilt
   1927: purchased by A. Atwater Kent; article in The Bar Harbor Times, Wednesday, 27 April 1927, page 1, column 6
   1976: became a nursing facility
South Kebo Cottage
Spruce Lodge - Kebo Street
Stanton Cottage - corner of Eden Street and Eagle Lake Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. M. W. Stanton
Stanwood - Highbrook Road
   designed by William M. Camac of Philadelphia
   1885–1886: built for James G. Blaine
   date?: photograph
   1904: owned by James G. Blaine estate
   later owned by Walter Damrosch
   1947: burned
Steepways - Cleftstone Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. William Todd Helmuth
Stone Cliff(e) - east side of Kebo Street
   1904: owned by Morris K. Jesup
Stratford House, The - see Poplars, The (at the corner of High Street and Mount Desert Street)
Strath-Eden
   1894: built for Ann Dennison
   later owned by Clifford Remington
   1947: burned
Strawberry Hill House - Strawberry Hill
   designed by Rotch & Tilden of Boston
   1889: built for J. Frederick May of Washington, D.C.
   1904: owned by Mrs. J. Frederick May
   1947: burned
Studio, The
   1904: owned by Frederick Amory
Sturgis Cottage southeast corner of Mount Desert Street and Amory Lane
   1904: owned by Mrs. A. Y. Stewart
Suminsby Cottage - Atlantic Avenue
Sunnyside
   1904: owned by Frank Fremont-Smith
Sunset Cottage - corner of West and Bridge Streets
   [date?]: cottage (from image on old postcard, contributed by Doug Tuttle)
Talleyrand - Kebo Street
   designed by DeGrasse Fox
   1887–1888: built for DeGrasse Fox
   1904: owned by Malvern Hotel and Land Improvement Company
   1947: burned
Tanglewold - east side of Kebo Street
   designed by DeGrasse Fox
   1888: built for DeGrasse Fox
   1904: owned by Malvern Hotel and Land Improvement Company
   1906: purchased by Alfred M. Coats of Providence, Rhode Island
   1917: purchased[?] by A. Murray Young
   1947: burned
Teviot (Cottage) - west side of Kebo Street
   1904: owned by John H. Livingston
Thingvalla (or Thyngvalla) - west side of Kebo Street
   1904: owned by Henry R. Hatfield
Thirlstane - Hamilton Hill
Thornhedge - northeast corner of Mount Desert Street and Roberts Avenue
   1900: built for Lewis A. Roberts, a retired book publisher from Boston
   1904: owned by Lewis A. Roberts estate
   1976: opened as a Bed and Breakfast
Tides, The - 119 West Street (north side)
   1887: built for Mr. and Mrs. William Rice
   1904: owned by William B. Rice estate
   22 November 2009: cottage (view from west), cottage (view from east), plaque
   2014: extant
Toy Cottage - Stephens Lane
Trevor Cottage - see Whileaway
Triangle, The - northeast corner of Eden Street and Mount Desert Street
   1904: owned by John H. Livingston et al.
Tullibardine - corner of Bloomfield Road and Devon Road
   1904: owned by Miss M. H. Guthrie
Turrets, The - 105 Eden Street (east side)
   1904: owned by John J. Emery
   1907 November 6: "At The Turrets, Mr. John J. Emery's place, Shea Brothers are building, and have nearly finished the concrete walls and basement work for a large greenhouse, directly in from of the barn, and between it and the street." (The Bar Harbor Record, 6 November 1907, p. 1, col 3)
   2008 July 13: entrance side, ocean side
   2014: extant
Uferheim - east side of Eden Street
   1904: owned by U. H. Crocker estate
Ullikana - The Field
   1904: owned by Mrs. Alpheus Hardy
Van Doren Cottage - Hulls Cove
   designed by William Poindexter & Co. of Washington, D.C.
   1887–1888: built for Mary Van Doren
   later owned by Juila and Guy Whiting of Washington, D.C.
   1969: torn down
Villa Mary - Eden Street
   1904: owned by F. H. Johnson
Wayside - near Shore Path; accessed in 1904 via a driveway from east end of Atlantic Avenue, the driveway shared with Eden Hall and Edgemere
   1904: owned by Frances E. (Mrs. Thomas B.) Musgrave
Wazee-Lo-Wan - Cleftstone Road
   1896: built
   1904: owned by Mrs. William C. Allison
   1947: burned
   2009: post and capstone [photo by Kenneth G. D'Aurizio]
Weir, The - West Street
Westfield - West Street
   1904: owned by William B. Rice estate
Westover
   1904: owned by Mrs. Jesse Hoyt
Whileaway - Ogden Point, east side of Lower Main Street; referred to as the "Trevor Cottage" in a 1902 newspaper account of its construction
   1901–1902: built for George Washington Vanderbilt; At the same time that Vanderbilt was having the Schieffelin Cottage (later called Islecote) built, he was having a second cottage built, this one called the Trevor Cottage and to be occupied by Mrs. J. B. Trevor and family of New York. The local newspaper reported at the time that "[t]he frame of this house is well up and the roof is going on. When completed it will be an imposing structure. No elaborate attempt at ornamentation has been made and the effect is simple but dignified. In size the house is 47 x 98 feet, two story in height, surmounted by a hip roof which is enlivened by the introduction of dormer windows. ... The principal feature of the front elevation, and placed in about the center, is a large circular tower which is carried well up into the roof. [Bar Harbor Record, 22 January 1902, p. 1, col. 4, and p. 4, col. 2.]
   1904: owned by George Washington Vanderbilt
Wildacre - north side of Cromwell Harbor Road
   1904: owned by Mrs. George S. Robbins
Wingcote - Woodbury Road
Wingwood House - see Four Acres
Witch Cliff - east side of Eden Street
   designed by Bruce Price
   1880: built
   1904: owned by Mrs. A. F. Manning
   [date?]: rebuilt by H. H. Ellison
   later owned by Harold Collier
   later owned by Helmut Weber
Wood Cottage - High Street
Wood Lea - Salisbury Cove
   [year?]: built for Mr. and Mrs. Fulton J. Redman
   1926: purchased by Edward Porter May (excerpt from The Bar Harbor Times article of 22 September 1926, p. 1, col. 4)
Woodbine - 116 West Street
Woodlands - lower Main Street
   designed by Irving John Gill
   1903–1904: built for Louis B. McCagg of New York
   later owned by Edith (Pulitzer) Moore (Mrs. William Moore)
   1947: burned
Wyandotte - south side of Hancock Street
   1904: owned by Mrs. John Biddle Porter
Yellow Cottage - south side of The Field [a street]
   1887 July 14 issue of Bar Harbor Record: "Mr. Jack Linzee has been visiting his mother, Mrs. T. C. A. Linzee, at the Yellow House in the Field." (p. 1, col. 3)
   1904: owned by Miss Torrey and Miss Linzee
Yule's Craig - Hulls Cov