Cottages of Bar Harbor
La Rochelle


a service of

V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com


(updated 27 July 2015)





La Rochelle, 127 West Street, Bar Harbor, was designed by Andrews, Jaques & Rantoul of Boston and built in 1902 for George Sullivan Bowdoin. The carpenter and painter was A. E. Lawrence; the mason, George Wescott; and the superintendent of construction, Edward B. Mears. A local newspaper reported: "The most beautiful and elaborate of the cottages that were begun this spring [1902] is that now being built by Mr. George S. Bowdoin of New York on West street, just east of Eden street. The cottage is being built of brick, and is only the second cottage of that material to be erected in this vicinity. It will probably be given the conventional name of cottage, but in reality it comes near being a mansion. The approximate cost of the building is $100,000, but before it is completed the cost will probably far exceed that." (Bar Harbor Record, 16 July 1902, p. 1, col. 3)



Capstone as it looked on 4 September 2007

George Sullivan Bowdoin, a grandson of Alexander Hamilton, the first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, married Julia Irving Grinnell, a great-niece of Washington Irving, and they had three children: Fanny Hamilton Bowdoin, Edith Grinnell Bowdoin, and Temple Bowdoin. At the end of 1899, he retired as a partner with J. P. Morgan & Co. He owned La Rochelle until his death on 16 December 1913, after which the property passed in 1914 to joint ownership by his widow and his surviving daughter, Edith G. Bowdoin.



La Rochelle as it looked on 4 September 2007

La Rochelle is currently the home of the Maine Sea Coast Missionary Society.